Saturday, December 4, 2010

Quality not Quantity

Well, what an exciting few weeks. For starters, the holidays were fantastic, got to see lots and lots of my family, which I always enjoy. Scott's parents also returned from England, but with my crazy schedule I just barely saw them this week (they have been home for two- it took me two weeks to see my in-laws!)

Scott and I spent the night in Salt Lake together last night. Since we only get to see each other a few days a week, we have decided to make every moment count. It has actually been really great for our relationship, we really appreciate each other more. All of our predecessors (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) are worried that we aren't seeing enough of each other, and his parents even asked us tonight, "Do you two even like each other?" and we just laugh, because it really is a fantastic set-up. Our new motto is "quality, not quantity."

I could come home every day, sure the commute would kill me, but honestly if I did it wouldn't be my tiredness that would keep me from Scott, it is simply that he has so much to worry about in his own life right now getting his degree and working his butt off to be a competitive grad school applicant. I am so proud of him, and wouldn't change that, and so, whether I stayed in Salt Lake or came home, he would be working on homework most nights, and we wouldn't really be spending time together, I would be sitting on my butt watching TV, while he sits on his butt at the computer. Instead, we have opted for our current situation. Scott will get all of his work done on nights I am not home, so that we can really spend time together when I am, not just physically in the same room while mentally on separate planets. We have really come to appreciate each other more, and our relationship has become a lot better because of this.

So, last night we stayed at the Peery Hotel in downtown SLC, this is where we had our honeymoon, and it was so nostalgic and fun. We just relaxed, ate some good food, saw a movie and reconnected. We had so much fun we are going to try to make it a monthly ritual. Because I am making so much more money through the "commuting" and "not seeing Scott everyday" sacrifices, we feel that this is completely justified, and do not feel guilty at all about the splurge- we deserve it. I am looking forward to next month, should be a good time.

So for everyone who is worried that my husband and I don't see each other enough, you can stop. We have more deep and personal moments this way than we would ever have if we saw each other more. We get to have that giddy dating again feeling of seeing each other, have something to look forward to, and I get an awesome job to boot. Life couldn't be better, we are loving every minute.

I feel like a lame butt because I never have pictures, I am just not good at that sort of thing, but I will make it my new years resolution to take more pictures!

I just want to say a special thank you to all of my friends, present and past- I have been so blessed in my life to be surrounded by such outstanding individuals, and while I feel like I no longer have time for anything or anyone, and will stink at keeping in touch, which I was already the worlds worst at, I want you all to know that I think of you daily, and keep you in my prayers. I wish that I had all the time in the world to kindle these wonderful relationships, but my new lifestyle has really put things into perspective, and right now the most important thing I need to do is focus on my husband. I love you all, but more than the majority of my minimal free time goes to him, and I hope that you can understand that this isn't because I don't love you, I just love him more.

I hope you are all doing well, and if I don't post again anytime soon, which is very likely, I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.

No comments: