Sunday, November 14, 2010

Happy

Well, the first week of my job went well. Trying really hard to just learn all that I can, coming in as someone with little to no knowledge of the inner and outer working of insurance, but I feel that I am getting the general hang out what they throw my way.

All of my co-workers are very helpful and friendly, and I am really enjoying my team. We get an hour lunch and it is tradition to play cards, apparently, and I am super cool with that. My coworkers threw a pizza party for me my first day, and they all signed a card that was waiting at my desk- super nice people.

The benefits are out of this world- I have a 401k, pension plan, retirement bonus, christmas bonus, full health plan (nothing deducted from my salary, just a cafeteria plan on top of my salary), the standard vacation-sick-personal days, etc. I love having a real, big girl job!

The commute is a bit long, but so far I have listed to two very great stories, and I did come home midweek, so all and all it wasn't so bad. The worst part is coming home to a house that, in my opinion, was not at all what I want my in-laws to come home to on Thursday. I leave the house spotless on Sunday night, and it is a boy's version of clean by Wednesday. Scott really does try his best to keep things clean, but it is big job for one person to handle- I should know, it has been driving me nuts!

Rod and Gaye get back from England on Thursday, so Scott and I have begun our preparations to move out- it is going to take a few weeks still, but the renovation has begun! We went and picked out our paint colors on Saturday, and painted the wood paneling "whisper grey." I also painted some older pieces of furniture we found upstairs in this color- one side table and a dresser. I removed all the knobs from the drawers and am going to buy some wallpaper to cover them with and some knew knobs- they are doing to turn out super cute, I am so excited.

The other two walls of the room were coated with wallpaper- we didn't realize that this would mean five layers of wallpaper with various consistencies of glue and sticky matter inbetween....all put on sometime in the last 60 years. Fun. It has been a monsterous pain in the butt, but we have removed 80% of the stuff, so we feel pretty good.

Rod says he will help Scott remove the rest, and then we are going to have to get some kind of plaster paint to level out the wall, and then paint. After that it is laying the new carpet (naturally getting rid of the hideous pink shag) and then moving in. We are looking for a new mattress, and I am going to make a new headboard for us.

Pretty much I love this room- it is my big DIY project and I think it is so much fun, it is going to take about a month to finish, but everything is pretty much going to have our personal touch. I will, of course, take pictures- I can't wait. Going to do a bunch of sewing- making pillows, a throw and new curtains. Living with my grandparents three days out of the week makes that very nice- I can glean a lot from their sewing wisdom!

Speaking of which- I love my grandparents. They have been so kind to open up their homes to me, and I really feel welcome. It is fun getting to see them, and I think they like having me around. They have been very hospitable, making me dinners, making room for me, and just making this a really easy transition. It is hard commuting, but it is nice only having to do it twice a week.

Things are good- Scott and I are very happy- we will be happier when we have our own space again, particularly one so tailored to our tastes, and I can't wait to see the final product- it is going to be fantastic!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

whisper grey huh :) where did you get the idea for that one, wouldn't be that old apartment of mine would it ha ha ha ha.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see pictures! I'm jealous. I want to paint our place so bad haha. Oh well. And, if you ever need to get away and play when you're in SLC, I'm close so don't be a stranger! Love ya!